Thursday, November 20, 2014

Visual Literacy

In my period 7 class we got assigned a new project, Book folding! We had to fold each page of the book to form a word that we chose. The word was usually between two and four letters long. The word that I chose was time! I procrastinated for like a week, but then got it done in a couple of days. This type of book folding was developed by a man named Isaac Salazar. Isaac is an book artist. He makes use of books that would be burned our thrown away, and creates them into amazing pieces of art. What is visual literacy? Visual literacy is the ability to interpret and understand the meaning of art in the form of an image. This project is an example of visual literacy because it is literally visual art.

The book that I did was a World Book. It had around nine hundred pages. My word, time, related to the font that I chose which was Dancing script, which is a type of script, because time is wavy and up and down, just like the script.  . It was fun but also very challenging to fold a book into a word that was in script. This project was very inspiring. I chose this word because of all the time that I put into it. The amount of pages that I folded to make my word was around 600-630 pages.

I really liked how the final product turned out. I think that I would go back and refold some pages to make it a little more neat. If I did this project again I think that I would have chosen the letters "DW" as my next book. I would have chose these two letters because of a love for a certain series. This project was very fun and challenging.

1 comment:

  1. Although you had a slow start on this project, the final product turned out really nice! I like the relationship between the word "Time" and the encyclopedia. Encyclopedias are quickly becoming a thing of the past in an age where digital information is at our fingertips. Your work of art leads the viewer to ponder how information access has evolved over TIME. Well done!

    ReplyDelete